Traverse the Regulatory Labyrinth.
Even as companies deploy so-called “non-regulated” services, telecom providers still must comply with a host of federal and state rules and regulations. JSI’s regulatory staff help clients with all of these requirements, including assessment of regulations and their impact, design and enactment of effective compliance procedures, and assistance in filing required applications and waivers. We are pro-active on the state and federal level through comments filed in federal and state proceedings, ex parte presentations, expert testimony, and tariff development.
All ETCs must report to the FCC and USAC where exactly they’ve deployed broadband using Universal Service funds. They’ll continue to file a streamlined FCC Form 481 before July 1 each year (July 2nd in 2018), but now many carriers also will need to report location data in the FCC’s new High Cost Universal Broadband (HUBB) portal by March 1, 2018.
JSI’s regulatory staff can assist clients with all aspects of both of these filings, from start to finish:
- Assistance with geocoding and mapping
- Reviewing and correcting data before it is submitted
- Reporting requirement checklists & reminders
- Templates to complete Form 481
- Completing and confirming the filings with USAC, FCC, State and Tribal Authorities
JSI’s regulatory experts provide a broad range of support:
- Analyze federal and state notices, proposed rulemakings, and orders for their impact on your operations
- Assist you in complying with rules and regulations
- Prepare waivers and petitions for reconsideration of FCC or PUC rules
- Draft comments and replies to support your position, as well as plan and participate in ex parte meetings with FCC and PUC staff
Clients also look to JSI for counsel and assistance in economic-related proceedings, both at the FCC and at state PUCs. JSI evaluates national and state cost proxies, reviews state-specific costing and pricing dockets, and develops regional or independent ILEC proxies. JSI’s experts also provide both written and oral expert testimony on any regulatory or economic issue affecting clients.
- Obtaining NPA-NXX codes and thousands-block assignments from NANPA and the Pooling Administrator
- Updating the BIRRDS database with routing and rating information for the LERG
- Obtaining OCN, CLLI, ACNA and other company identifying numbers
- Managing CIC code administration and filings
- Filing Numbering Resource Utilization/Forecasts (NRUF) and FCC Mandatory Pooling Forecasts
- Updating NECA’s FCC Tariff 4 database for managing billing percent and wire center records
- Providing monthly NPA-NXX Code Activation Reports (NNCAR) in an easily searchable online format
JSI also can help you properly reflect your network changes when undergoing a switch collapse or migrating to an IP network.
Telecom providers must meet several regulatory requirements regarding customer privacy and identity protections. Recent rule changes have muddied the CPNI compliance waters over the last 18 months. JSI offers a customizable approach which allows you to pick and choose exactly what you need to remain CPNI and Red Flag compliant. We also can craft and modify appropriate policies and notifications outlining how your company handles identity theft protection, network management, and copyright infringement.
As well, your website could be putting your company at risk of enforcement. It not only needs to inform your customers about your services, but also must include information about your network policies, company practices, and acceptable use disclosures. JSI’s Website Compliance Review Service audits your site to ensure that it is up to date with the necessary and recommended disclosures and policies regarding:
- Copyright Protections
- Red Flag Requirements
- Privacy & Security
JSI’s Video Compliance Service offers new and seasoned providers with a comprehensive handbook of federal requirements, including mandatory filings, fees, technical standards, regular notices and notice regarding any requirement changes.
JSI’s experts also can assist with:
- Retransmission Agreement Negotiation
- Minimizing and Filing Copyright Royalty Fees
- Public Inspection File Maintenance
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Compliance
- Emergency Alert System (EAS) Reports
For more information about JSI’s Video Compliance Service, contact John Kuykendall at 301-459-7590.
JSI brings compliance expertise to a number of areas, and assists with federal and state regulatory reports, certifications and applications that require detailed accounting or network information.
- Intercarrier Compensation
- E911 and Enhanced Emergency Telephone Service
- FTC “Red Flag” Rules
- “Truth-in-Billing”/Billing Standards and Procedures
- CLEC/Reverse Auction Applications
- Affiliate Agreements
- VoIP Compliance
- Record Retention
- Disaster Recovery
- ETC Annual Reports
- Local Telephone Competition and Broadband Reporting
- Outage Reporting
- FCC Interexchange Carrier Reports
- Transfer of Control and License Assignment Applications
- Federal and State Certifications
- Video/Cable Reporting and Registration
- Regulatory Fee Filings and Exemption Requests
- Informal Complaint Responses
- Wireless Handset Hearing Aid Compatibility
Contact John Kuykendall at 301-459-7590 for assistance with FCC and state compliance.
- Interconnection Agreements (including those between ILECs and wireless providers)
- Inter-Company Agreements
- Ethernet Agreements
- End-User Agreements
- Pole & Conduit Agreements
- Programming Agreements
- Fiber & Facilities Leases
- Partnership Agreements
- Wholesale Network Agreements
- Service Level Agreements
- Affiliate Transaction Agreements
- FCC Arbitration Proceedings
- Other Agreements
Whether you have company-specific tariff filings or participate in the JSI access tariff, our Online Tariff Service keeps your tariffs organized and easily accessible on “MyJSI,” a secure, password-protected site strictly for JSI clients.
- Interstate and Intrastate Access
- Local Tariffs
- Billing and Collection Contracts
- Advanced IP and Broadband Services
- CLEC Tariffs (Local, Toll, Access)
- State Private Line Tariffs
- Tariff Revisions for Bundling or Additional Services
- DSL Detariffing
- (Five-Year) Number Portability End-User Tariff Charge
- Interstate and Intrastate Toll
- International Toll (Rates, Terms and Conditions)
If you would like additional information on tariff development or revision, or on the Online Tariff Service, please contact John Kuykendall at 301-459-7590.
JSI’s Rural Health Care (RHC) outreach solutions package provides accurate information that you can use to familiarize your local healthcare facilities with the Healthcare Connect Fund. The package explains how healthcare facilities can partner with providers to provide better medical care through affordable, federally subsidized broadband access.
The RHC outreach solutions package includes materials customized for your company and community:
- Outreach Letter – Contact facility administrators, board members and technology officers directly about the Healthcare Connect Fund and its importance for the community.
- Presentation Materials – Conduct face-to-face meetings with the help of a presentation outlining the program details.
- Talking Points – Field media inquiries, provide updates at business forums and educate employees about the program with key program details.
- Handout – Provide a concise summary of important program benefits, information and dates.
With schools eager to expand their networks, and competitors aggressively marketing E-rate solutions, the time is ripe to develop a well-conceived strategy for delivering E-rate services. JSI can help you capture your local schools’ and libraries’ E-rate dollars. Our experienced team has assisted clients with E-rate questions and planning since the program’s 1996 inception. Among the E-rate services we offer are:
- Monitoring Form 470 Requests on USAC’s Website (our “E-Rate Connect Service”)
- Customized Telco Training
- E-rate Marketing Plans
- Identifying Eligible and Non-eligible Services
- Composing and Negotiating Service & Maintenance Contracts
- USAC-Required Reporting
- Developing Quotes or Bids for Services
- Calculation of Educational discounts, Taxes, Fees & Surcharges
- Tracking E-rate Funding Commitments
- Compliance Guidelines & Forms for Gift Giving
- Educational Service Tariffs
- Audit Responses & Record Retention Compliance
For more information on any of JSI’s E-rate services, contact Cassandra Heyne at 301-459-7590.
All companies should maintain a comprehensive and accurate Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) to help make a very stressful situation tolerable, reduce chaos, and minimize service disruption. JSI offers an EOP template which helps companies capture and retain all of the information necessary in an emergency situation, including:
- Resources, data and assets to be protected, and who, at the company, is responsible for that protection
- Company contacts for all types of emergencies, including third parties to contact for assistance
- A general preparedness checklist
- Insurance information for all types of emergency situations – cyber, assets, loss of business
- Communications plan for both internal and external communications
- Company restoration policies
- Record retention policies
- All state and federal rules and regulations that need to be complied during a service outage
The EOP template also includes data and cyber security emergency preparedness guidelines, a data breach incident response plan, and an active shooter response plan.
If you would like more information about JSI’s Emergency Operations Plan template, please contact Cindy Neugebauer in JSI’s Texas office at 512-338-0473.
- JSI is a proactive partner, closely attuned to the financial, technological, business and policy developments unfolding across the industry.
- Our team regularly meets with the FCC and PUC staff on regulatory initiatives and provides expert testimony in federal and state proceedings.
- JSI plays a prominent role in industry and association forums and champions the interests of community based independent providers as policy is debated and formed.
- Our staff is knowledgeable, accessible and consistently receives positive feedback.
- We give back to the industry and local communities through various charitable activities.
What Clients Say
JSI has been part of our team for 30 plus years. Their expertise and forward thinking philosophy in both regulatory matters and business opportunities have contributed greatly to the success of Hill Country Telephone Cooperative.
Upcoming Seminars & Webinars